Prion Disease & pH Balance
Studies show that Mad Cow Disease caused by acid pH!
Opinion by Robert Ross
Why is this important to a raw foodist? We are not likely to be eating any kind of meat soon, let alone from a mad cow! The thing is -- this is more hard evidence of the importance of an alkaline-forming diet and lifestyle! Even better, it is evidence that helps refute the argument that eating and drinking alkaline foods and drinks doesn't affect the body's overall pH. The answer is, of course, that it clearly does. Here's how I come to that conclusion from this research.
A prion (protein+infection)is a misshapen protein which became an infectious agent when it lost it's correct shape. You see, it is normal for proteins to fold or bend, but under some conditions they lose control and get permanently bent out of shape, becoming infections that cause a fatal diseases like mad cow disease in cattle, scrapie in sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in people. There is no cure for these fatal conditions.The
You see, the function of a protein is determined by its shape. The shape of a protein is determined by its structure, or its sequence of amino acids. The sequence is determined by the sequence of nucleotides in the gene (DNA) encoding it. The function of a protein is usually dependent on its structure. A number of things can disrupt the structure of a protein, called " denaturing" the protein. These include:
- changes in pH (alters electrostatic interactions between charged amino acids)
- changes in salt concentration (also alters electrostatic interactions)
- changes in temperature, i.e., cooking (higher temperatures reduce the strength of hydrogen bonds)
- presence of reducing agents (break S-S bonds between amino acids)
Several researchers have discovered that prion's deadly misshapen form is determined by exposure to low, acidic pH environments. In a healthy neutral or alkaline environment these proteins are just fine, happy and properly shaped. However, under low pH, acidic conditions all that changes. As pH goes down and acidity increases (red line in chart below), proteins get more and more distorted until at some point they can no longer recover their proper shape and are permanently now Prions -- infectious proteins.
In the study, On the Fibril Elongation Mechanism of the Prion Protein Fragment PrP106-126, at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, they noted:
"Under acidic condition, one of the residues forms hydrogen bonds with one of the edge strands of the fibril. Then, inter peptide hydrogen bonds gradually form one by one to the end of the peptide (causing them to beak up or change shape - rr). Under alkaline and neutral conditions, the hydrogen bonds within this peptide do not break up."
You see, the electrical or electrostatic charge proteins controls their shapes and functions. What have we learned about acid and alkaline environments in my other articles: alkaline equals electrons/energy, electron donors. In an alkaline environment their are plenty of electrons for proteins to interact and change shape the way they are intended by nature. Conversely, the more acidic an environment, the more the interactions between proteins are disrupted by robbing proteins of their electrons, resulting unhealthy, misshapen proteins. At best, these misshapen proteins are denatured and impossible to properly digest. At worst, they become infectious proteins or prions.
Cows are raw food vegans, normally eating a healthy, alkaline-forming diet of fresh, yummy grass. They have a unique digestive system that evolved over millions of years to be able to digest grass with their 4 stomachs (actually one stomach with four chambers). So of course factory farms feed cows nothing at all like fresh grass. In fact, factory farms feed cows the cheapest dead, processed feed they can find - even including dead cow parts in the feed to save a few sheckles. They have turned loving, gentle cows into a cannibals -- and then we wonder why they go mad!
Like all over-processed, dead food, processed cattle feed is ACID-FORMING. It has none of the health-giving alkalinity of fresh grass. Add a few dead cows to the feed to improve the bottom line a little and you get even more acids in the mix. Acids equals PRIONS equals MAD COWS!
So my conclusion is that when you feed cows a acid-forming diet it creates an acidic environment within the bodies of the cow at the cellular level. Proteins in the cow exposed to this low acidic pH can become deadly, infectious PRIONS associated with Mad Cow Disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in people.
This conclusion leads inevitably to the next -- that cows, or people, fed a healthy, alkaline-forming raw vegan diet have a more alkaline pH at the cellular level, despite arguments to the contrary, and therefore PRIONS do not form. In fact, most of the health challenges we associate with modern civilization and poor lifestyle choices are likely to be prevented with an alkaline-forming lifestyles and diet!
As human being you should just as mad as these poor factory-farm cows! But unlike a cow, you can do something about it. First, just don't eat cows. If you enjoy a little meat now and then, do it on a rare basis, like a special treat, and then only eat free-range, organic meats. And for your other meals, start enjoying healthy, alkaline-forming raw food and drink alkaline mineral water from your water ionizer!
Sadly, factory farm cows don't have these choices -- but you do!
- "Prions : The Infectious Protein Agent." 123HelpMe.com. 15 Jul 2011
- Rules of Protein Structure, http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/
Biology Pages/D/DenaturingProtein.html, 1/18/2011
- Bjorndahl TC, Zhou GP, Liu X, Perez-Pineiro R, Semenchenko V, Saleem F, Acharya S, Bujold A, Sobsey CA, Wishart. Influence of pH on the human prion protein: insights into the early steps of misfolding, Biophys J. 2010 Oct 6;99(7):2289-98,
- van der Kamp MW, Daggett V. , DS, Detailed biophysical characterization of the acid-induced PrP(c) to PrP(β) conversion process, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E8.
- Zahn, R. (2000). NMR solution structure of the human prion protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 97(1), 145-150.
- Calzolai, L. (2003). Influence of pH on NMR structure and stability of the human prion protein globular domain. The Journal of biological chemistry, 278(37), 35592-35596.
- Calzolai, L. (2000). NMR structures of three single-residue variants of the human prion protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 97(15), 8340-8345.
- van der Kamp MW, Daggett V, Influence of pH on the human prion protein: insights into the early steps of misfolding, Biophys J. 2010 Oct 6;99(7):2289-98, Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Caughey B, Baron GS. Prions and their partners in crime. Nature. 2006. Caughey B. The most infectious prion protein particles. Nature. 2005. 437:257-61.
- Xin Zhao, Shuo-Xing Dou, Ping Xie, and Peng-Ye Wang, n the Fibril Elongation Mechanism of the Prion Protein Fragment PrP106-126, Laboratory of Soft Matter Physics, Beijing National Laboratory for Condensed Matter Physics, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
- COLYNDA VU, JAMES ROBBLEE, KARIN M. WERNER, AND ROBERT FAIRMAN, ,Effects of charged amino acids at b and c heptad positions on specificity and stability of four-chain coiled coils, Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania 19041, 12/7/2000.
- Harris, D. A. (1999) Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 12, 429-444
- Prusiner, S. B. (1991) Science 252, 1515-1522.
- Prusiner, S. B. (1998) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95, 13363-13383.
- James, T. L., Liu, H., Ulyanov, N. B., Farr-Jones, S., Zhang, H., Donne, D. G.,
Kaneko, K., Groth, D., Mehlhorn, I., Prusiner, S. B., et al. (1997) Proc. Natl. Acad.
Sci. USA 94, 10086-10091.
- Riek, R., Hornemann, S., Wider, G., Billeter, M.,Glockshuber, R. & Wuthrich, K.
(1996) Nature 382, 180-182.
- Lopez Garcia, F., Zahn, R., Riek, R. & Wuthrich, K. (2000) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
USA 97, 8334-8339.
- Zahn, R., Liu, A., Luhrs, T., Riek, R., von Schroet-ter, C., Lopez Garcia, F., Billeter,
M., Calzolai, L., Wider, G. & Wuthrich, K. (2000) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97,
- Calzolai, L. & Zahn, R. (2003) J. Biol. Chem. 278, 35592-35596. [
- Caughey, B. W., Dong, A., Bhat, K. S., Ernst, D., Hayes, S. F. & Caughey,W. S.
(1991) Biochemistry 30, 7672-7680.
- Pan, K. M., Baldwin, M., Nguyen, J., Gasset, M., Serban, A., Groth, D., Mehlhorn, I.,
Huang, Z., Fletterick, R. J., Cohen, F. J. & Prusiner, S. B. (1993) Proc. Natl. Acad.
Sci. USA 90, 10962-10966.
- Oesch, B., Westaway, D., Walchli, M., McKinley, M. P., Kent, S. B., Aebersold, R.,
Barry, R. A., Tempst, P., Teplow, D. B., Hood, L. E., et al. (1985) Cell 40, 735-746.
- ] Sunde, M., Serpell, L. C., Bartlam, M., Fraser, P. E., Pepys, M. B. & Blake, C. C.
(1997) J. Mol. Biol. 273, 729-739. [
- Swietnicki, W., Petersen, R., Gambetti, P. & Surewicz, W. K. (1997) J. Bio. Chem.
272, 27517-27520. [
- Hornemann, S. & Glockshuber, R. (1998) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95,
- DeMarco, M. L. & Daggett, V. (2004) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101, 2293-2298.
- Armen, R. S., DeMarco, M. L., Alonso, D. O. V. & Daggett, V. (2004) Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. USA 101, 11622-11627.
- Muramoto, T., Scott, M., Cohen, F. E. & Prusiner, S. B. (1996) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
USA 93, 15457-15462.
- Salmona, M., Malesani, P., De Gioia, L., Gorla, S., Bruschi, M., Molinari, A.,
Vedova, F. D., Pedrotti, B., Marrari, M. A., Awan, T., et al. (1999) Biochem. J. 342,
- Zhang, H., Kaneko, K., Nguyen, J. T., Livshits, T. L., Baldwin, M. A., Cohen, F. E.,
James, T. L. & Prusiner, S. B. (1995) J. Mol. Biol. 250, 514-526.
- Forloni, G., Angeretti, N., Chiesa, R., Monzani, E., Salmona, M., Bugiani, O. &
Tagliavini, F. (1993) Nature 362, 543-546.
- Tagliavini, F., Prelli, F., Verga, L., Giaccone, G., Sarma, R., Gorevic, P., Ghetti, B.,
Passerini, F., Ghibaudi, E., Forloni, G., et al. (1993) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90,
- Selvaggini, C., Gioia, L. D., Cantu, L., Ghibaudi, E., Diomede, L., Passerini, F.,
Forloni, G., Bugiani, O., Tagliavini, F., Salmona, M. (1993) Biochem. Biophys. Re. 6
Comm. 194. 1380-1386.
- Kuwata, K., Matumoto, T., Cheng, H., Nagayama, K., James, T. L. & Roder, H.
(2003) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 14790-14795.
- Petkova, A. T., Ishii, Y., Balbach, J. J., Antzutkin, O. N., Leapman, R. D., Delaglio,
F. & Tycko, R. (2002) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99, 16742-16747
- Ma, B. & Nussinov, R. Protein Sci (2002) 11 2335-2350.
THE BEST RAW FOOD DEALS FOR
Save 25% - Flash-Frozen Wheatgrass Juice is Even Better than Fresh!
Wheatgrass thrives best in the sun. Field growing enhances nutrition because phytonutrients in the plants respond to changing environ-mental condition. Also, the benefits of natural air, rain, sun and soil create a level of purity that are obvious the moment you taste the juice. Dynamic Greens outdoor growing combines sun, air, lower density planting, frost cycles, winter and planned fallowing of the land to grow healthier, stronger, more nutritious plants while preventing molds usually associated with indoor grown grass. Each 100 fl. oz. package gives you 200 half-ounce servings in fresh-frozen cubes.
DynamicGreens Delivered overnight for Free! (Continental 48 U.S. Only)
DYNAMIC MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE
DURING THE WINTER SEASON.
Newest 9-Plate M9 Ionizer!
Super Angel Plus Juicer
New & improved model replaces the 5500. 100% stainless plus the most advanced twin-gear technology for the best twin-gear juicer in the world! Juicing more efficienty means you get as much as 20-50% more than other juicers.
NOW $1,150 .00
Use coupon code 'WORLDS-BEST' for an extra $30 Savings - now just $1,120.00!
More powerful LIFE M9 water ionizer. New larger Titanium & Platinum Plates, MAX Yield SMPS Power System (up to 500 watts), more! Converts easily from counter top to under counter! Reg $3,097
ALSO: Save $500! LIFE M7 Convertible Water ionizer. The 7-plate LIFE M7 is the best bang for the buck
Can be converted to upder-couonter with optional kit. FREE GIFTS & FREE US SHIPPING. Reg $2,497 NOW $1,997
ASK IF YOU QUALIFY FOR FINANCING
Backed by Over 50 Clinical Studies! My friend Matt Monarch's direct contact with harvesting families in the Peruvian Amazon allows them to get 100% raw and fresh “Sangre de Grado” crude extract that has not been through any physical or chemical treatment like most other products, assuring you of getting all the benefits of this amazing plant sap. Matt also assures us that no tree logging is performed on these trees, as the latex extraction is made by small incisions in the bark in the ancient traditional manner.
NOW SAVE OVER $100.00
The newest Omega Ultra Low-Speed Vertical Juicer with an indestructable GE ULTEM auger & heavy duty screen..
Just 43RPM for optimum efficiency & juice quality! Click now for coupon & even more savings.
Newest Tribest Sedona 9-tray
Professional Dehydrator on Sale
Featuring dual chamber design with dual fans see-thru glass door, digital controls, BPA-FREE & built-in 150-hr timer, 600 watts.
CLICK NOW & SAVE MORE WITH COUPON!
New Tribest Sedona 9-tray RAW FOOD Dehydrator with TST Technology
Newest TST Technology (Two-Stage Sequential Temperature Timer) lets you program your Sedona Dehydrator to automatically operate in 3 modes: Fast Mode, Raw Mode (up to 118F) and Combo Mode.
Vitamix TurboBlend VS Blender features new variable speed control, whopping 7-year warranty, 4 FREE BONUSES plus my own free gifts and free shipping!!
My price $449.
Newest Green Star Elite
With new larger, more powerful JUMBO biomagnetic twin gears. Now with Extended
My Price $549.95
Samson Advanced Multifunction Juicers are functionally comparable to Omegas and maybe even better! 4 colors to choose from. Reg. $339
NOW FROM $259
Green Power Juicer is the best compact style twin gear juicer!
Omega 8006 Deluxe Black & Chrome designer mode with GE Ultem augerl.
Reg. $349.95 JUST $299.95
NEW MUST-READ BOOK
Altered Genes, Twisted Truth
by Steven Druker
In a new expose available March 20th, see how the U.S. and biased, well-paid scientists have misrepr-esented facts about GMO's for almost 30 years.
Jane Goodall said it is “one of the most important books of the last 50 years." See how GM0's got to market ONLY because the FDA covered up the truth, lied about key facts and violated food safety laws. If the FDA listened to their own scientists, GMO foods would have never gotten "off the ground."
NOW UNDER $18.00
CLICK TO ORDER
EASY WEIGHT LOSS
A “Side Effect” of Raw Food?
Here’s the bottom line: with a healthy digestive system, it is virtually impossible to gain weight on raw, live foods! Imagine that! You can eat almost anything you want, as much as you want, as long as it is raw. In fact, many people will lose weight without even trying. They just want to eat healthier food! Losing weight is a side affect, a fringe benefit - almost an after-thought!
Learn How I lost
Over 170 great recipes show you how & make going raw easier than without sacrificing taste. Special section for the Holidays & Raw Food for Pets. 104 pp
75 lbs. FAST
with Raw Food
By Robert Ross
. (E-Book) More...
You see, weight is really just a “symptom” of what is going on with your whole body - digestive system, elimination system, immune system, glandular system, emotions, sleep patterns, stress levels, liver, colon, skin, lungs, blood, spirit and “chi” or energy levels and more. When all that is in balance and harmony, so its your weight - naturally! Read more...